Monday, September 22, 2008

Sudan | Days 6, 7, & 8 - The Boys

On my last Africa post, I talked about what Jennifer, Corey and myself did the 3 full days we were at the orphanage. This post I want to share what the boys on our trip did for those 3 days.

There jobs were to build relationships with the men that help out at the orphanage and to help them with some of the manual labor, like collecting fire wood, pulling up tree stumps, fetching water, etc...




Then in the afternoons, when the kids got out of school, the boys got to spend a couple of hours playing with them, which was SO fun to watch!!

They taught them Duck, Duck Goose! Our boys really had a challenge because those kids are QUICK! It was very entertaining to watch how quickly our boys would get caught.






Here's a video that shows how fast and fun they are.

Duck Duck Goose from Janelle on Vimeo.

My sweet hubby running as quickly as he could.




One of the things we loved so much was when the orphans would sing to us, especially this one song in particular called You Are Welcome. It was their welcoming us to their orphanage song when we first arrived a few days prior to this. So our boys would randomly start singing the song and then all the precious orphans would start singing.

This video is of one of the random times when our boys got them to start singing and my husband, who is hilarious, could always get some good laughs out of the kids by being silly. You'll see.

Sudan | Heath dancing and singing with the Orphans! from Janelle on Vimeo.









Next Africa post I will dedicate completely to the water fetching. Y'all, it really is mind blowing to see what they have to do to get water. It was probably what impacted me the most on the trip.


post signature

9 comments:

Jake said...

They sang that song to us in Uganda. Listening to that made my heart melt. Im so ready to go back. 10 MONTHS.....dang thats a long time.

connorcolesmom said...

Oh girl that was so touching! I love watching grown men be silly with children - priceless
and you hubby must keep you in stiches - he is a hoot!!
I can not wait for the opportunity to go on a mission trip of course I might be useless b/c I would be bawling the whole time :)
Have a great day!
Kim

Amanda said...

How do you say "crazy white man" in Sudan? Loved the video of Heath.

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

I love all the balloon pictures!

Melissa said...

I love your updates, Janelle! It's neat to see how you've spread them out over time instead of just doing one big recap. It seems like the way they stretch out is an example of how the trip has stayed with you and continues to impact you. Blessings!

FordeFam said...

Wow! That's crazy fast running!!! So cute!!! Heath's so silly! :) I'm sure those kids loved it! :)

Lindsee Lou said...

I am loving that video of Heath. Priceless! Janelle, I knew you wouldn't fail me in your Africa re-caps. You are doing a fabulous job!

Lindsee

Lolly said...

The story of your trip is so neat! I really loved the video of making peanut butter. I wouldn't last very long.

One thing that really struck me was the joy on these womens faces. To think where they live and what they have compared to us. Their faces radiate true joy. You must have been so blessed to be with them.

Helen said...

Heath is a fun guy, huh? hehe