Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Foster Care | Part 6 First Training

Last night was great!! Thank you SO MUCH for praying.

I was feeling very anxious leading up to it. You know that feeling you get when you are about to go in for a job interview? It was that kind of feeling.

But as most things in my life that I feel anxious about, I had absolutely no reason to feel that way. It was a great environment with the nicest people.

The training started at 6:00. So from 6:00 to 7:00, the founders of the agency spoke and gave the history on Covenant Kids. The couple are very strong Christians with this incredible vision to help these children. It was one of those couples where you can tell their faith is genuine. So immediately I was drawn in and so thankful that we get to go through this process with this agency.

One of the neat things the founders always do on the 1st night of training is go around the room and talk to each couple. They asked each couple several questions, like what they do for a living, where do they go to church, what type of foster care are they interested in, how they heard about Covenant Kids, etc. They spent several minutes with each couple wanting to get to know each one. There were 30 couples so this took a LONG time. It took almost 2 hours to go around the entire room.

Even though it was long, I so enjoyed getting to hear everyone's stories, where everyone is in life and why they want to do foster care. There were couples that were our age and some older. From all over the metroplex, with all sorts of vocations. It was a really neat time for me. Very inspiring and encouraging to know that even though I may never see these couples again, we are all in this together.

When it came to our turn, the founders had a little side note next to our names that I guess my friends Kallie or Travis, who work for them, put on there. So the founder told everyone that we have a unique story on how we discovered Covenant Kids. So I got to share the amazing testimony of how God pointed me to CK before I even knew that my two friends worked for that specific agency. It's the story I share with y'all a few posts ago. It was a neat moment for us and once again confirmed this path we are on.

By the time all the intros were over, Travis, my friend and the trainer only had about 30 minutes to wrap things up. He went over some very basic things and then we were done.

The next few trainings will probably be the ones that are going to be the most difficult as we dive into specific kids' stories and what they've been through as they try to help equip us to be parents for these children that come from such tragic situations.

But this 1st training was a great firing up for us! We left with new hope and new motivation for this adventure.

post signature

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I am so excited for you guys! I feel like I know you as we started in on this process around the same time. My hubbie and I will have our first home inspection this week, and could be certified by the end of this week. Wow. It really did fly by. I am praying for you as you train!
Thanks for sharing!
Michelle