Monday, February 02, 2009

Put Down The Chili

This weekend, Heath, Ella & I headed to Waco for Heath's family's Annual Chili Cook Off. I feel like I am drowning in chili right now and my body is not pleased with my poor eating decisions. It's fighting back.

But, it was a very fun time with family and friends. The Chili Cook Off is always a big deal and they always have a great turn out.

Heath LOVES to cook. It's one of his passions and I am VERY thankful for that!! I get to enjoy this hobby of his quite frequently. And since I do not love to cook, it works out well for our family.

There is always major competition between Heath, his cousin James, his cousin James' wife, and my dad! And they love every second of it. They also had a rib cook off earlier in the day just between the two of them.

Check out this set up. I think they felt like it was their very own cooking show.




They were yummy ribs!


Ella definitely thought so since she cleaned the bone.


This year Heath made chili from Prime Rib!!!! Yes, it's as good as it sounds.


He placed 2nd out of 13 entries. The bittersweet part was that he tied for 2nd with his cousin James!




We had a great time!








Sunday, we drove into town and went straight over to our good friends Jeremy and Melissa's for a Super Bowl Party. They so sweetly hosted us, the Murrells and the Billups for a fun night of more GOOD food made by Melissa's husband who is also an amazing cook.

However, by Super Bowl party, I mean the wives stayed in another room with the 7 children and calmed screaming babies and broke up arguments over toys. But I guess that's pretty normal with 7 kids under the age of 5 years old. They are all sweet children though and have precious friendships with each other, which is a HUGE blessing.

When we first got there, the kids immediately ran outside to take turns driving Toby's John Deer tractor. They were so cute all cruising together.

Karoline, Ella & Toby


As soon as Joshua arrived, he quickly joined them.


We also got to celebrate Bear turning ONE yesterday!




And ended the night with some bathtub fun with the girls.



post signature

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my WORD! I just finished dinner but my mouth is watering. I don't think I'd ever feel brave enough to go up against your family...but if they need someone to whip up side dishes, I'll gladly come to town! ;)

Kelli said...

I love that Ella ate every inch of that rib! :)

connorcolesmom said...

Oh YUM!! My mouth is watering!
I love the pic of Ella with her rib - so cute!
Have a great day!
Kim

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

The Chili Cookoff sounds like such a fun Family event! Congrats to Heath for the 2nd place finishing...that is pretty impressive!

Angela Baylis said...

I was SURE you'd have that chili recipe posted! Maybe you guys can't share it? I love seeing pictures of you all! Your husband makes me laugh every time I see him. Does he really have a good sense of humor? I bet he does! Sounds like you had a nice weekend!
Much love,
Angie xoxo

The Self Cottage said...

ah! so cute... love all the pics and looks like the kids had a blast together. love you, L

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

I just have one question...will Heath make me those ribs one day? They look SO GOOD!

Helen said...

What's more fun that a bath with a friend to end a great day? :)