Thursday, October 16, 2008

State Fair of Texas '08

Oh, how I love the State Fair of Texas! It's been a tradition in my family since we've lived in the DFW area to attend the State Fair every October. I always like to wait until the last week that it is open to go, that way it's the coolest possible weather.

Yesterday it rained most of the day, but it definitely did not ruin our fun. Then by the time the rain ended, most people had left, so it wasn't crowded at all. And it was very, very cool and we had to wear sweaters, which is perfect Fair weather!

We always head to the Flying Dog Show first thing.




This is Ella and Dada watching this year.


This is Ella and Dada watching last year.


Our good friends Linsey and Gage met us at the Fair this year and spent some of the morning with us. Ella and Gage are only 2 months apart and have been friends from day one of their lives.




Family pic


The famous Big Tex! For those of you who are not familiar with Big Tex, he has always been there and he's huge and he talks! He says "Howdy Partner, welcome to the State Fair of Texas." For the past 2 years, Ella has not cared too much about Big Tex talking, BUT this year she was all about it. She kept wanting to go back to Big Tex to hear him talk more. It was really cute! She kept saying, "Big Tex is talking again!" because you can hear him almost all over the fair grounds.






Another huge State Fair tradition is the Car Show. Now I don't particularly love this part, but it's Heath's favorite part and so being the submissive wife that I always am, I let him spend as much time with the cars as he wants without complaining even once. hehe

Although, I have loved it the past 3 years now because of this:

2006


2007


2008




Our next stop was something we had never done before, we went to the Backyard Circus.






It is all kid participation. We figured Ella would be to young to participate, but being the shy (totally kidding) girl she is, when they called out for Butterfly Ballerina volunteers she rushed the stage with the big girls and was SO EXCITED!

This is the practice round.


This is Ella waiting with all the other "butterflies" to go on stage for the real deal. I had to include this picture because she is down on one knee and I just thought that was such a big girl thing to do.






I would be lying if I told you I didn't tear up a little watching my little Butterfly Ballerina. Even though she was the teeniest butterfly of them all, she seemed so big to me up there by herself.

Our next stop was the animals. Lots of animals to feed and see! So fun for the Punkin!












Our last stop of the night was the pig races, which are always so funny!! And our pig totally won twice!

This obviously wasn't our pig. It's just the biggest pig I've ever seen!


Our pig was the red pig.




Okay, I can NOT have a State Fair of Texas post without talking about the FOOD!!! Because that seriously is the #1 reason for going to the fair!

Here's a rundown of what we ate in order of eating:

Fried Cheesecake: Thank you Lord!

FLETCHER's Corn Dogs


Fried Cheese Curds


Fried Grill Cheese Sandwich

Texas Tater Twister


Good bye Fair! We will enjoy all your food and fun again next year!


post signature

13 comments:

Mindy said...

Looks like so much fun!

connorcolesmom said...

What a fun time!
THe pics are precious
I think my fav is the one of Ella and her friend holding hands
My boys do not hold hands so I think that is precious!

I also love the photos of your hubs and Ella in the car - that is great that he remembered to make the same face - so cute!!

Oh and that food has my stomach growling - YUM!!!
Love ya
Kim

Linsey said...

Loved seeing you guys! Our kids are so cute!

MamaCass said...

I am totally bummed that we have not been yet. I may have to talk Rodney into taking us on Saturday. I am so impressed that she got up on stage with all the big girls. She made a precious butterfly ballerina!

Ashley said...

I love the pictures!! Especially the one where you have the same picture three years in a row. She has grown so much! :)

I hope you're doing well. I haven't spoke with you in a while!

Anonymous said...

Adorable pics! How fun:) My favorite pic is the one of Ella on the stage with her arms raised...she looks like a little ballerina:)

Amanda said...

I'm so sad we missed it this year! I love all the pics showing the 3 different years. So fun! Did they do away with the little farmer thing? Also, I'm glad y'all had some Fletcher's. Love you!

Kelli said...

I am really hoping we go to the UT/OU game next year so we can take our C-monkey to the fair. It looks like a blast for the kids!!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Oh man...I love the food pictures. We went for dinner last Sunday night...so delicious!

Ella is so big! For real? Her little pony tail and bangs are adorable!

Becca said...

Love it! When we went to the fair this year, I totally missed the tater twister and that is my FAVORITE! My mouth was watering when I saw your picture!

carleigh said...

looks so fun! i remember running into you guys there last year... sadly we missed it this year!

Anonymous said...

I love state fairs! And all the goofy pictures made me smile.

Nell :--)

Helen said...

I missed the cheese curds, and boy do I love me some cheese curds! ;)
Oh, and the car show is my favorite part. Of course Kasen wanted to get in EVERY. SINGLE. ONE., so we cut it short this year.